I’ve been testing the migration process from CRM 2013 to CRM 2016 recently and came across a potential issue, in some cases it seems that Windows Server 2016 has the search service disabled which causes an error message stating –
‘Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.InstallWindowsSearchAction failed. The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)’
This will also occur half way through the CRM install which is quite a pain.
Luckily this is easily fixed –
- Open the start menu and type ‘services.msc’ which should open the services window.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Windows Search’.
- Right click the service then select Properties.
- Change the Startup type to Manual or Automatic and click Apply.
- If required Start the service then continue the CRM installation.