It can be a pain trying to create a new Managed Metadata set in SharePoint. But luckily it can be done fairly easily with a bit of know-how.
Before we start, make your way to the Term Store management page which can be found by doing the following –
- Go to Site Settings on any Site.
- If you’re not on the top level site then click ‘Go to top level site settings’ found under the ‘Site Collection Administration’ heading.
- Click ‘Term store management’ found under the ‘Site Administration’ heading.
- Find the Group you want to add the new Term Set to and right-click it.
- Select ‘Import Term Set’.
Create a Term Set CSV
Next up we need to create a CSV file in the proper format –
- Create a CSV with the following headings –
- Term Set Name
- Term Set Description
- Available for Tagging
- Term Description
- Level 1 Term
- Level 2 Term
- Level 3 Term
- Level 4 Term
- Level 5 Term
- Level 6 Term
- Level 7 Term
- Populate all of the fields that you need, I’ve included an example below.
- Now save it as a CSV somewhere on your machine.
Upload the CSV
Now that we’ve got the file we need, upload the CSV to SharePoint using the file prompt that would have appeared after you clicked ‘Import Term Set’.
Once uploaded your new term set should appear similar to below –